Sunday, October 2, 2011

Kitchen Experiments: Mama Engel's famous B&G's

John loves some Biscuit & Gravy, love might actually be an understatement. I can't think of a better recipe ever than my momma's. I decided to attempt it for John this weekend to see if it passed the test. I had to modify it a bit since I don't eat red meat but I think it fared pretty well.

B&G's 
(Mama Engel Style)
It doesn't get any better than this!

INGREDIENTS

3 cups Milk (use less if you like your gravy runny)
1/3 cup Flour
Turkey Sausage (My mom uses Sage Italian Sausage)
1 Tbl  Sage
Biscuits



STEPS
1. Preheat oven for biscuits (use instructions on package)

2. Brown Sausage in skillet

3. Start biscuits

3. If using turkey sausage add sage and cook until done

4. Do not drain and add milk and flour



5. Cook until starts to bubble and get thick

6. When biscuits and gravy are both done, pour gravy over biscuits and Ta-Dah...yumminess!



John went back for seconds but this time he invented a Biscuit and Gravy sandwich, pretty amazing! 




2 comments:

  1. Actually I use pork sausage with sage (breakfast sausage) not Italian sausage. After you brown the sausage stir in the flour and then add the milk, cooking and stirring until thick and bubbly. Yours must have turned out pretty amazing - they got the John Hamra seal of approval! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the clarification :) I had to find a comparable substitute. I am making them again this morning!

    ReplyDelete