Sounds sort of strange, I know, but this recipe I got from my mom was surprisingly delicious! The Johnson's came over for our weekly Dexter date and I think they approved. Best part is you can really adjust the recipe to a bunch of different options. Our ideas: buffalo chicken burger ring and BBQ chicken ring.
1/4 cup onion
3/4 lb lean ground turkey or beef
1/4 cup ketchup
2 teaspoons yellow mustard
9 slices American cheese, divided
2 (8 ounce) packages refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
16 slices dill pickles
3 large plum tomatoes
2 cups lettuce
1. Preheat oven to 375°F Chop onion.
2. In frying pan, cook ground turkey with onions over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until beef is no longer pink; drain.
3. Add ketchup, mustard and 5 of the cheese slices, cut up; stir until cheese is melted.
4. Remove pan from heat.
5. Unroll crescent dough; separate into 16 triangles.
6. Arrange triangles in a circle on a 13-inch round pan or baking stone with points towards the outside.
7. (There should be a 5-inch diameter opening in the center.) Scoop meat mixture evenly onto widest end of each triangle.
8. Top each scoop with pickle slice.
9. Bring points of triangles up over filling and tuck under wide ends of dough at center of ring.
10. (filling will not be completely covered.) Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
11. Remove from oven.
12. Cut each of the remaining 4 cheese slices into 4 triangles.
13. Arrange cheese triangles over top of ring.
14. Serve with additional ketchup, pickles and mustard, if desired.