Monday, January 21, 2013

Embrace the SUC

This is one intimidating moto

I have always loved a challenge; usually the ones that scare me are the ones that give me the most motivation. A coworker had asked me to join his team for the Springfield Urban Warrior Challenge (a.k.a. SUC) a few weeks back and at first I thought “no way can I be ready for that after taking so much time off “ but after a good week of thinking about it I changed my mind to “What’s the worst that can happen?” Plus, I have this new belief that if I can go through 12 hours of labor I can do just about anything I put my mind to. I still have fears of failing and letting my team down but decided this was a challenge I can take on. For those of you that don’t know, the SUC is a 12.4 K adventure race that involved challenges/obstacles throughout the course. MSU’s Army ROTC designed it and it is no joke going to be intense. We have a team of 4 (2 girls 2 guys). Thanks Team for asking me to be a part of this, I am excited to see how we do. Here is the site for more details: http://www.embracethesuc.com/

an obstacle from the website
I have run lots of 5Ks and even trained for a full marathon through Team In Training in 2005. Although, I ended up only being able to run the half marathon at the advice of my doctor due to my knee/plica issues, I finished the St. Louis Half Marathon at 2 hours and had no issues at all But that was 7 years ago, so I have a lot of training I need to do but at least I know I can set a goal, train and finish.

another obstacle option
I have 10 weeks until the race on April 6 and I decided blogging about my training would hold me accountable and help me stick to my plan. I stated yesterday and it honestly wasn’t as bad as I thought. My plan is to blog each Monday about my training the week before and how it went and with my goals for the current week. If anyone has suggestions or recommendation I would love to hear them. Plus I could always use the support. Luckily my husband has been amazing, agreeing to keep Sawyer when I go to train and even said they would be at the race cheering me on.

MY GOALS FOR WEEK 1:
I will do 3 days of running (between 2.5-3.5 miles) and 2 days of cross training (yoga, body pump, cycling, etc) for week 1.
Yesterday for my first day, I ran 2.5 miles at a steady 6.0 pace. Then did stretching, sit-ups and pushups. John, Sawyer and I also got outside and went for a 45 minutes trail walk since the weather was so nice. I am just a little sore today but not too bad. My knee gave me a little trouble when we were walking hills on the trail but it feels fine today.
I am planning on my week going a little something like this:
Tonight:  Run
Tuesday: Rest
Wednesday: Run
Thursday: Cross train
Friday: Rest
Saturday: Cross train

I’ll give a full update next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment