My husband loves muffins, especially blueberry muffins. I have never attempted to make homemade muffins, only the store bought packages. While not comparable taste-wise, I thought it would be too much work to attempt home-made. A friend at work brought in these a couple weeks ago and just by looking at them I could tell I wanted the recipe even if it was going to be more work. They had a delicious topcoat of cinnamon sugar and he even swore the recipe was easy. He was right and they turned out delicious (thanks Kyle)! By they way, John approved and I got to use my new mixing bowls that the Johnson’s got us for Christmas. I love them!
Cinnamon Sugar Dipped Blueberry Muffins
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (10 ounces)
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon table salt
1 large egg
1 cup granulated sugar (7 ounces)
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 ¼ cups sour cream (10 ounces)
1 ½ cups frozen blueberries
½ cup granulated sugar
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Adjust oven rack to medium position and heat to 350 degrees.
- Spray standard muffin tin with nonstick vegetable spray and set aside.
- Whisk flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl until well combined. Set aside.
- Whisk egg in a second medium bowl until well combined and light-colored (about 20 seconds).
- Add sugar and whisk with egg vigorously until thick and homogeneous (about 30 seconds).
- Add melted butter in 2-3 steps, whisking to combine after each addition.
- Add sour cream in 2 steps, whisking just to combine.
- Add frozen berries to dry ingredients and gently toss to combine.
- Add sour cream mixture and fold with rubber spatula until batter comes together and berries are evenly distributed (25-30 seconds). Do not over mix, batter will be thick and some flour spots may remain.
- Use a spoon or ice cream scoop to drop batter into greased muffin tin.
- Bake until light golden brown (25-30 minutes). Rotate pan about half way through. Test by putting a tooth pick in center of muffin and if it comes out clean it is done.
- Invert muffins onto wire rack and let cool completely
- While muffins are cooling, mix sugar and ground cinnamon in small bowl and melt butter in a small saucepan.
- Take cooled muffins and dip top in butter and then in cinnamon/sugar mixture.