Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Kitchen Experiments: Crock Pot Mac & Cheese



I was a picky eater as a child and my favorite food was Mac & Cheese. Even though my food horizons have broaden, I still love Mac & Cheese. When I was little I liked the plain jane original recipe but now as an adult I like to try varieties of that recipe with different cheeses and even consistencies. We were invited to a friend's house saturday and I decided I wanted to try a home-made version. I googled some pointers and came up with a recipe that goes a little something like this.....

Crock Pot Mac & Cheese

INGREDIENTS


Cooking oil spray
2 cups skim milk
8 oz. Cream Cheese
1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk
1 egg
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 cups preshredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni

STEPS

1. Spray the crock pot with cooking spray, covering completely.  
2. Mix together milk, evaporated milk, egg, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl
3. Pour milk mixture into the crockpot.  
4. Add cheese, cream cheese and uncooked macaroni. Stir to mix.  
5. Turn slow cooker on low and cook 3-4 hours, until macaroni is tender.

TIPS: This is a thicker southern version than the box varieties. Do not cook longer than 4 hours or on the high setting because it will get really dry and stick to the crock pot.  If you like it creamier, you can add cream of cheddar soup, I will probably try this next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment